Saturday 14 March 2020

My own thoughts on Covid-19

I used the word Covid-19, because in all honesty I'm tired of hearing the words Coronavirus, or should I say I'm tired of hearing all the 'media hype.' That's not to say I don't think the current epidemic is serious, but more that I prefer to listen to the science not the media.

I keep hearing conversations or seeing comments about how people don't think hand washing will make a difference, or how it doesn't matter if people gather in crowds, comments such as 'well, if I get it big deal, it's only a virus, it's only a flu!'

WRONG!

To be fair for the majority of people in the UK if and when they do get Covid-19 it will be quite undramatic and they will recover relatively quickly and unscathed. However, that then brings me to think of the small minority I think it's roughly 5% of the population in the UK for whom that simple, unscathed scenario won't be the case.

I am part of the small 5%, my mum is part of the small 5%.


This was me in August 2011, recovering from a Double Lung Transplant. A second chance at life, the ultimate gift!
ICU or the Intensive Care Unit is not anywhere I would wish anyone to be and is certainly not somewhere I wish to be again any time soon. But you see, this is potentially and I must stress the word potentially where members of the small 5% minority could end up amid this virus outbreak.

So please if I decline an invitation in the very near future, don't take it the wrong way, if you visit me and I insist you wash / sanitise your hands, please don't take offence, if you're full of cold (albeit just a common cold), please keep a safe distance from me... I'm not being ignorant, I'm not being silly or OTT, my immune system simply cannot handle it like yours would.

I won't be partaking in the mass hysteria of panic buying or stockpiling- it's unnecessary! I will be, however, taking small but necessary measures to protect myself. If any of my work colleagues are reading this I would like to thank you for your support and understanding.

So here are my three pieces of advice (which guess what, mirror the advice of the scientists, and our NHS whom I trust wholeheartedly..

1) Wash your hands with soap and water... (I'd question anyone who doesn't already do this, but perhaps for now, do it a little more often.

2) Avoid over crowed, public spaces and where possible public transport.

3) If you do develop a temperature, or a dry unproductive cough then say home until your symptoms subside.   


No comments:

Post a Comment