Friday 4 March 2011

Organ donation & why you should opt to donate

Ive heard so much about organ donation recently, I cant decide if thats because its finally getting the much needed media attention that it so deserves and needs or because now that its such a huge part of my life that coincidently im just paying far more attention to everything I hear, see and read.
Whatever the reason may be it really got me thinking.. I mean about how you could really make someone sit up and take notice, how you could persuade someone through just words to opt in and join the Organ Donor Register and I guess all you can do is put an honest and frank account of your life out their for people to read and think about... below you'll find mine.

Ever sat and wondered what it might feel like not to be able to breathe? ever wondered what its like to wake up in the night soaking wet because your temperature is so high and your choking on your own phlegm? ever wondered what it might be like not to have the energy to wash your own hair, dry your own hair to even get dressed? Ever wondered how it might feel to know that you have to use supplementary oxygen because your oxygen saturations fall dangerously low whilst sleeping? Ever wondered what it may feel like to wake up with a headache so severe you're head feels like its about to explode because you've retained too much carbon dioxide? Ever thought about how it may feel to take a cocktail of tablets every morning and a relentless, never ending amount of intravenous antibiotics some with unendurable side effects just so that you can stay alive?
I dont need to wonder, because I know, I live and breathe the above every single day, and at 26 years of age I was been told in no uncertain terms that my lungs are failing me and now age 27 I know that without a double lung transplant I will die.
Been made to face your own mortality is in my opinion one of, if not the hardest situation to come to terms with. How do you tell your family? How do you tell the ones you care about most? What if they cant cope, what then? How do you tell your mum when you know she's already endured the agony of burying a child?
If your anything like me then you will painstakingly paint on the "im fine" mask, grit your teeth and do whatever you have to do to get through the day. I get through everyday because I realise that dispite everything im actually quite lucky, I've had 27 years of memories and experiences (some people dont get that), I have the use of my legs (albeit I can't manage hills, some days even stairs are hard), I can hear, I can speak and I have a home to go to, food to eat, water to drink. There are people in this world in a far more difficult situation than I am and as crazy as that may sound, knowing just how lucky I am compared to some gets me through.

I joined the organ Donor register on my 16th birthday, and if you've taken the time to read this, then I'd ask you to take the time to think about Organ Donation, to think aboout the difference you could make to somebody. Think about you're own family, your mum, dad, son, daughter. What if it was them, what if they needed a lifesaving transplant. Would you accept one? would you be hoping that someone, somewhere had made that decision to donate their organs after their death so that the special person you love could go on and live their life?

Im not ready to give up, to go.. I have too much left to do, too much left to see and achieve. So im asking you from the bottom of my heart on behalf of myself and the other 10,000 people in the UK who so desperatly need a life saving transplant to think about, to talk about it and to do something about it.
"I am too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful and too determined to be defeated"

No comments:

Post a Comment